09.25.10 – Update
Many things have been happening this week, so quickly that it has been difficult to do an update.
Due to our current doctor’s advocacy of Peter, and the Lord’s opening the way, we are planning to admit him to the Baylor Institute of Rehabilitation in Dallas for two weeks starting Monday, if all goes as scheduled. There, one of the finest rehab doctors in the country will assess Peter, and the family will receive intensive training for giving Peter optimum care when he arrives home. We are very excited about the Lord’s provision of this opportunity and want to make the most of it. We have met with the doctor there and understand her competency and passion for her calling in helping people with this type of injury.
Here is what you can pray for:
1. That the family will be rested, available, healthy and attentive, so that we can absorb a mountain of information and training.
2. That the doctor will be able to quickly intuit Peter’s condition and will have wisdom on the best course to pursue for him. (We’ve understood that every individual has a unique path to recovery and that no “cookie cutter” mold works for all patients.)
3. That Peter will progress in becoming more conscious as a result of their cutting edge methodologies. So far, his responses include finding with his eyes, and gripping our hands strongly. There are other responses as well that he appears to be working on.
4. That the Lord would continue to refire neurons and connections in Peter’s brain and that much healing could take place in a short stretch of time. We’ve heard of instances where, with the right stimulation, parts of an injured brain can suddenly “kick in” and resume function quickly.
5. Continue to pray that Peter will be medically stable and soon be trach free. His trach challenges are continuing to progress slowly.
Over the next couple weeks updates might be even more sparse as our family undergoes the training at Baylor. However, we will do our best to keep you updated with Peter’s condition and our prayer concerns as we journey ahead.
Thank you all for your support and prayers.
For the family,